The passive solar house concept was born in Germany but has been gaining a lot a ground in Ireland in the past few years. It is becoming even more important with the steady march of building regulations in Ireland towards the ‘zero-carbon house’.
The basic idea of a Passive House is to reduce the energy usage of a home over that of traditionally built homes.
Elements of a Passive House:
- To provide a house with super levels of insulation
- Have high performance windows and doors (usually triple glazed)
- Thermal bridge freeconstruction to eliminate heat loss
- An air tight house to keep the heat in the house and eliminate draughts
- Controlled ventilation such as a mechanical heat recovery ventilation system